Friday, March 6, 2009

Miraa And The Church

Khat is classified as a drug of abuse that can produce mild to moderate psychological dependence. It’s a controlled/illegal substance in many countries. The uses and effects read like the bad rap of any other drug. Long term use or abuse can cause insomnia, anorexia, gastric disorders, depression, liver damage and cardiac complications. Delusional and manic behavior has also been reported. As such, it would be expected of the church to discourage chewing of khat on the same token it does smoking or drinking beer.

Not so in this story from Meru. It’s difficult for anyone, not even religion to come between the Ameru and the only cash crop they’ve known for generations. In a case of tradition versus modern religion, some churches accept khat as an offering and later sell it to the faithful.

The Khat story aside, the Church has come a long way. I recall a time back in the village when Churches used to hold fund raisings but never once invited local bar owners or anyone selling things considered anti-church. Likewise, faithful who owned shops were not allowed to stock cigarettes. Not any more. In my local church there is a whole row of pews donated by the owner of a prominent night club. The money is no longer dirty.

11 Comments:

Eunuch said...

Ciku,
Did you say YOU LOCAL CHURCH? I hope the one erected nearest to your residence for I doubt any other insinuation.

Now on matters religion, the clergy and the flock often find themselves between the devil and dark blue sea-MONEY OR THE BOX/bible. The clergy have mouths to feed too besides sampling variety from their flock. It is a weird world we live in.

Ngare said...

I found the Khat incident wierd too! What is this world coming to!?

BP 1 said...

Salala..ati "The church has a three-acre miraa farm, and so does the neighbouring Kamiruru Primary School." What a weird world!!!

Anonymous said...

churches are now businesses. none of that clean, Godly way. the church is out to exploit poeople,simple.

Jigsawman said...

Hey shiko,Guru here.I saw an email from you but i don't know why it doesn't want to open,maybe u can try and send it again

Anonymous said...

Ni ya leo ni ya leo.

Thats chuch 4 u today. Bongo la Biashara

Cee said...

Ati the church has a miraa farm...but as they say, God made Khat and man made beer, so let's have a party....
The Church like any business definitely checks on profit.

Shiko-Msa said...

I hear you all people.

Yes Eunuch. The one I grew up attending.

Ngare welcome.

Guru resending.

Anonymous said...

One of my issues with the church generally is that they seem to be evolving to suit the times. I hear the Anglican Church is working on a contemporary bible to suit these days and time...

One of the reasons I say God is in my heart, I attend church once in a while for social reasons.

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is so interesting. I don't even know what to say because the church as an institution is either changing dramatically and we have to be okay with that or we just have to decide individually what is acceptable and what is not. I never knew miraa was such a huge crop in Meru, and it's only right that these people make their living. Can we blame them for introducing miraa to the church? I don't know. For me, the value of the church as an institution is becoming more and more questionable (with all the current issues we are seeing).

Shiko-Msa said...

Hi Misswretched. Karibu. As for me I decided already as an individual. I don't feel the church any more coz I feel it has no moral authority to guide me any more.

Pink I stopped attending Church. Not even for social reasons. Maybe it was the too much forced prayer at a young age. Oh so now someone could be changing the bible? That reminds me there are some new commandments somewhere on this blog. From the Vatican.