Monday, May 12, 2008

Microwave Ovens - Are We Putting Our Health In Danger Every Day?

The modern woman is a busy one and technology is right there by her side providing gadgets to make her life easier in the kitchen. One of them is the microwave oven. The performance of this gadget is not in doubt but there are some conflicting theories about it’s safety. Wikipedia for example states that although microwave radiation in and of itself can be dangerous, when used properly these devices heat food quickly, efficiently, and safely. Key word SAFELY.

But I’ve also heard some horror stories about the microwave which left me wondering. Are we embracing technology blindly? Are we indeed benefiting from a few saved minutes and preservation of nutrients or are we slowly killing ourselves in the name of modern technology? It is said that the problem with microwaving is not really radiation. Manufactures have us thoroughly protected against that. The danger is that microwave cooking alters DNA in food thus making it unrecognizable to the body. The body then wraps it in fat cells or eliminates it fast. Could this be true?

Recently I received an E-mail with some scary account of what the Microwave can do to our bodies and overall health. And what mothers are doing to their babies by heating milk in it. There was also something about a nurse in Canada who warmed up blood for transfusion and the patient died as a direct result of receiving dead blood. Very uncomfortable thoughts especially if a microwave is sitting pretty in your kitchen. Or if you eat in restaurants most of which have microwaves ovens these days. The rest of the mail read like this:

Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term brain damage by shorting out electrical impulses in the brain.

The human body cannot metabolize the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.

Male and female hormone production is altered by continually eating microwave foods.

The effects of microwaved food byproducts are residual within the human body.

Minerals, vitamins and other nutrients of microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

The Minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.

Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America and other parts of the world.

The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.

Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability and a decrease of intelligence.

So Wanjiku here is wondering, are these all baseless rumors from scaremongers or is there something there?



17 Comments:

Acolyte said...

A long term study needs to be done with 2 groups, one that eats microwaved foods and another that does all other things being equal and then we shall know.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the food unless you stick yourself inside the microwave. I have used the microwave for over 10 years and the only disadvantage is I have become too lazy to warm food in any other way.

Shiko-Msa said...

Kirima very true. The microwave can really spoil you. I won't toss mine out the window just yet. I guess then it's safe because to stick yourself inside, you'd have to open the door. And if you open the door then it stops producing microwaves.

Acolyte someone did a study like the one you're saying but on plants. On one plant she fed microwaved water and on the other just normal distilled water. She claims that the one with microwaved water died in 10 days. But those were plants. I've not heard of any done on humans.

BP 1 said...

Shiko.... Don't scrap your microwave for the health risk they are talking about, if you keep looking at this modern gargets from that angle, You shall be very soon a villager leaving in this big city. What I really mean is that after tossing your microwave, the next will you get rid off is your mobile then your hair drier, and so on . Oh boy!!! If you pay a visit to the link below you will not be working any where forget about blogging any more. http://www.nysut.org/files/hs_070828_computerfactsheet.pdf

Shiko-Msa said...

BP thanks for the link.

I'm a victim of all the four hazards they describe there. Even the one on vision. And to make matters worse I'm also a contact lenses wearer - and they say this aggravates the dry eye problem. I doubt whether my employer is ready or even willing to buy us adjustable tables and padded wrist rests. We shall just have to survive this way, follow the few ergonomic rules we can and and hope for the best. Or go back to the village.

By the way BP I'm assuming you're blogging from Kijabe now ama?

Mo said...

I've heard that you should be 3 feet away from it at all times. As long as you switch it on and keep a metre between yourself and the thing while it's running, you should be ok. I'd be lost without mine.

And that nurse that microwaved blood? Talk about completely and totally stupid.

Shiko-Msa said...

Yeah unfortunately Mo Ma the world is not getting any less stupid despite all these maendeleo. Too bad.

BP 1 said...

Hahaha... Shiko leo ume ni pata...Still in town planning for an exit strategy. Should I reserve a place for you, if incase I reach there safely?

Maua said...

I worked in a hospital where a guy presented microwaved intestines after standing right in front of a microwave while making his microwave dinner for several minutes. Suffered serious abdo pains b4 calling for help. Lucky guy got 'plastic'replacement, but I don't think he'll use a microwave ever in his life.

Me, a guilty victim who deserves redemption. Exactly how do I survive without one?

Mama said...

Honestly, in this day and age, there is nothing that is fit for human use. Everything on this earth causes cancer and I dont know what! How are we expected to live? Bp is right, someone wants us to take us back to the village.

Shiko, mimi am not going to bother with scientific findings, I will continue to eat my microwaved foods, perm my hair and sit under the dryer peacefully, do all those other things that are conveniently easy and then wait for the day the Good Lord will call me home....I refuse to live my life in fear!

Taabu said...

Ciku,
Technology like lunch has a PRICE. The world as my good cucu says husumbua wajuaji. Do what is safe and leave the worries to acedemics for tehy are paid to split hairs.

Basic physics, microwaves success if based on singularly directing electromagnetic waves to a an eclosure and no germs can survive that. Speakling of which even your cell phone and QWERTY keyboard is a health risk. Don't go there dear, live your life one day at a time and lets live, aou sio?

Shiko-Msa said...

Maua say what??! Someone presented in hospital with microwaved intestines? It's sad but I just had to laugh. But lots of people would be lost without the microwave. Imagine getting home late and your dinner is frozen to a stone.

Mcheku they even tried to scare us once about hair driers. And some other E-mail I received about the amount of mercury in lipsticks. Ati the longer staying the lipstick is the higher the amount of mercury. They gave a list of top brands that use mercury and right on top of the list was my favourite!!

Taabu yeah I remember there was some research being done on whether cell phones can be linked to brain tumors. As for those men who wear their cell phones around the waist (very common here), there was another research being done too for some delicate areas below the waist. Thats an article for another day.

BP let's just stick around here - Mombasa raha.

Mama said...

Shiko, why am I told to sign in by some log in afrigator thingy when I open this page?

I always click on cancel but its a tad bit annoying! Is there anyway I can avoid it?

Shiko-Msa said...

Mcheku I also don't understand this afrigator thing. I've contacted them already via E-mail but they've not replied yet.

I've registered for Afrigator alright but I never asked for such a service. If the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to de-register completely from Afrigator.

Sorry for the inconvenience Mcheku.

KK said...

You just scared me into reaching for my foodbar... no need to microwave that. Ati simu at the waist. So mine in the pocket is even worse eh? I guess that might explain some shidas I've been experiencing lately.

Shiko-Msa said...

KK hehehehe. I'll goggle that research first thing tomorrow morning. Then we can know the root of your shidas.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.